Wood rot in your Bay Area, CA commercial building is more than just an eyesore. It can also be a warning that your commercial building’s wooden elements need to be repaired or replaced, depending on how serious the rot has gone.
Wood rot typically occurs on sidings. However, it can also affect railings, fascias, soffits, beams, columns, and other wooden elements of a home or building where rain and melted snow can settle. Moisture can penetrate wood over time, leading to mold, mildew, and rot.
Regular inspections of your commercial building are crucial to identify signs of surface or structural issues like wood rot. Once you see wood rot, address it right away to prevent further damage. A painting contractor in the Bay Area, CA, can repair or replace wood rot and restore your commercial building to its original appearance. It makes sense to hire professionals as they encounter wood rot during their everyday jobs. Custom Painting, Inc. will expertly deal with wood rot by repairing and painting the affected wood or replacing the entire affected section with new wood.
Signs of wood rot
Wood rot is a common issue that can affect the structural integrity of wooden structures in homes and buildings. It occurs when wood becomes too moist, and fungi that feed on the wood start to grow. Here are the common signs of wood rot to watch out for:
- Discoloration – The wood may show signs of discoloration, often turning darker than the surrounding wood. However, some wood rot can cause the wood to appear lighter or bleached.
- Softness – A key indicator of wood rot is if the wood feels soft and spongy to the touch. This softness is due to the wood fibers breaking down under the fungal attack.
- Cracking and crumbling: As the rot progresses, the wood may crack, crumble, or break away easily when prodded with a tool, such as a screwdriver.
- Musty odor – Rotted wood often has a musty, moldy smell, indicating the presence of dampness and fungal growth.
- Visible growth – In some cases, you might see fungal growth on the surface of the wood, which could appear as a white or greyish film or even mushroom-like growth.
- Increased moisture – Areas prone to wood rot often have higher moisture levels, so signs of water damage or leaks nearby can also indicate potential wood rot.
- Paint damage – Paint on rotted wood may peel or blister due to the moisture underneath. The paint might sometimes remain intact, but the wood underneath could still rot.
Identifying wood rot early is crucial to prevent structural damage and costly repairs. If you suspect wood rot, it’s often best to consult with a professional who can assess the extent of the damage and recommend appropriate repairs.
What Custom Painting, Inc. offers
Here is an outline of Custom Painting, Inc.’s step-by-step process for a wood rot repair or replacement:
- Inspecting the property for wood rot and assessing the extent of the damage.
- Developing a customized repair or replacement plan, such as finding out (and eliminating) the root cause of it and getting rid of it by replacement instead of repair.
- Repair or replacement, depending on the following factors:
- The severity of the damage.
- The structural significance of the affected wooden area. For example, if wood rot shows up in beams, columns, or joists, it poses a safety hazard. Thus, replacement is typically the better option than repair in this case.
- The cost of repair versus replacement.
- Treating and preventing future rot by applying wood hardener, filler, or epoxy or replacing damaged wood with new wood or other material, such as PVC or fiber cement replacement boards.
- Painting, staining, or sealing the treated or replaced wood area.
- Final inspection and quality control.
Choose Custom Painting, Inc.
When you see signs of wood rot in your commercial building, give Custom Painting, Inc. to protect and preserve the wood features of your commercial property. Here are the reasons why you should choose Custom Painting, Inc. for a wood rot repair or replacement project:
- Over 40 years of experience in the industry.
- A dedicated team of painters and project managers.
- Experienced, licensed, and insured painters and carpenters.
- Transparent, detailed, and itemized job estimates – for free!
- Compliance with work safety standards.
- Attention to detail.
- Surface and worksite preparation.
- Cleanup and disposal after painting.
- High-quality workmanship.
- Long-lasting results.
- Flexible schedules.
- Flexible payment options.
- We stick to our deadlines.
- Free color consultation.
- Contracts, warranties, and guarantees in writing.
Contact us today!
If you need a professional team of painters in the Bay Area, CA, who can expertly deal with wood rot, Custom Painting, Inc. uses its decades of experience to restore the look of your commercial building to its original appearance. Call Custom Painting at 925-294-8062 or send a message for a free consultation or estimate.